On June 28, 2012, Timkatec 2 will graduate 62 students. But future funding for 2012/2013 faces enormous challenges as Timkatec celebrates its 20 year Anniversary
"You are the instruments that saved not only 500 young Haitians, but also some of their relatives and the personnel of this Institution. Sometimes you may think that you have done little, but what you call little is huge... You allow people to sleep, to walk, to laugh because you send them their daily bread and the bread of knowledge. I thank you on their behalf and on my own."—Father Joseph Simon, Director Timkatec schools
|Father Simon and a local supporter
congratulate the 2011 Laureate
In the 2011/2012 Academic year, despite the desperate situation in Haiti, Timkatec has succeeded when so little else has. But the future is cloudy as several major problems arise concurrently that are reducing donations and aid as costs increase Please read the following and be as generous as you can for this very worthy cause.
The cataclysmic earthquake of January 12, 2010 is past, but its affects are everywhere, as the country struggles to rebuild. Painfully, slowly as all of the infrastructure was destroyed.
This is what the Timkatec team directed by Father Simon has achieved to date and what your donations of extra funding can help it achieve in 2012/2013 and beyond.
- Increased Timkatec 3 Girls School capacity to 220 day students and 70 sheltered nightly. Now has 155 daily and 30 nightly students for 2012 for funding reasons
- Completed a 50% space increase at Timkatec 2 to add 40 students to the 190 already there in 2011. A shortage of funds has kept the 2012 student count at 175-short of its 240 capacity
- Timkatec 1 has been able to maintain its capacity headcount of 45 residents and 65 day students
- The Timkatec 2 addition was fully funded through the Charity Auction organized by Tommy Stinson of the Replacements and Guns'n'Roses
- Timkatec increased the 2012 student count to 470 from 320 after the earthquake
- But Timkatec has a capacity of 630 for 2012/2013 at a time of desperate need for Training in the community
|Expanded Timkatec 2||Expanded Timkatec 3|
Timkatec for the first time in 6 years, must turn away desperate children and teenagers because of a lack of funds, even though it has the physical capacity to meet their needs.
PLEASE HELP US TO HELP THESE KIDS IN NEED
OUR 2012/2013 CHALLENGES
- USAID have provided surplus food aid to schools and orphanages in Haiti for the last decade. They have advised that this aid will cease in September 2012, a loss of about $30,000
- Timkatec-France, through the French Presidents Foundation has been a strong supporter of Timkatec for several years. That aid, about $30,000 annually,to date, has not been renewed
- The Friends of Timkatec active donor list is declining with the exception of a small number of Special Friends led by Mike Spinelli, Tommy Stinson and Ernie Reyes
- We will meet our 2012 goal must add more donors this year and next to help fill th0se gaps
- Father Simon states that when Timkatec does not provide a midday meal, students must seek food elsewhere miss their training. Their life is that precarious
To use the significant expansion of facilities and hopefully students, we have several major priorities for 2012/210:
- We need to add 6 new instructors to teach the new students in Timkatec 2 and 3
- The loss of USAID food aid will require us to provide another $30,000 of support
- We will need 2 cooks and an additional staff member at the Timkatec 3 Shelter
- We need to obtain the material and equipment for the expansion
- The Friends need to add 20% more donors and increased per capita donations
- We need to help our graduating students obtain the tools they need to be able to work in their trade
- We should try to assist our students to find jobs after their training and education
Tommy is a special Friend of Timkatec who has been tirelessly working on Timkatec's behalf.
- In 2010 and 2011 his Celebrity Auction raised over $40,000-funding to expand Timkatec 2
- Tommy has tirelessly promoted Timkatec on his site and blog as well as on Facebook and other media
- Tommy promotes Timkatec at each concert and event where he performs
- He has committed the profit was his latest CD, "One Man Mutiny"
- In April 2012 Tommy hosted a major event for Timkatec "Haiti on the Hudson" which raised almost $20,000
Timkatec relies on our support. We read about the trials of Haiti as a whole. I ask you to do as I do, and to focus on this most successful program which has grown by 400% over the last 7 years.
The fact is that Timkatec works and and the cost to educate out students is a mere $300 or so per year. An amount that can change a life forever.
Thank you for your support.
Patrick J. O'Shea, Founder
Mike Spinelli, Co-Founder
Friends of Timkatec in America
Archived Timkatec News
Friends of Timkatec July 2015 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec March 2014 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec August 2013 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec December 2012 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec June 2012 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec August 2011 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec January 2011 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec August 2010 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec May 2010 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec March 2010 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec February 2010 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec January 2010 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec July 2009 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec April 2009 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec December 2008 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec November 2008 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec September 2008 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec April 2008 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec November 2007 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec April 2007 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec October 2006 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec June 2006 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec March 2006 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec December 2005 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec August 2005 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec June 2005 Newsletter
Friends of Timkatec December 2004 Newsletter